Installation of LEED-compliant industrial epoxy floor coating
DUROFLOOR-RL Two-component, roller-applied epoxy coating
DUROPRIMER-RL Two-component, solvent-free epoxy primer
I. NATURE OF THE PROBLEM – REQUIREMENTS
Floors in factories, workshops, warehouses, garages, slaughterhouses, hospitals, etc. are constantly exposed to mechanical wear (e.g. abrasion, impact, etc.) and chemical damage from thinned inorganic and organic acids, alkalis, petroleum products, wastes, etc.
Therefore, the final surface on such floors must feature considerable mechanical strength and chemical resistance as well as easy cleaning.
Industrial floors made from concrete, even those made with surface hardener and subjected to mechanical treatment, but especially those made from plain/ordinary concrete or terrazzo, do not usually meet the above requirements (e.g. do not resist chemical damage from acids, get dusty, etc.).
The application of DUROFLOOR-RL liquid-applied epoxy coating to concrete floors successfully meets requirements for medium mechanical strength and chemical resistance while delivering an aesthetically pleasing finish.
DUROFLOOR-RL is a colored, two-component, solvent-free epoxy system. Once it has hardened, it forms an easy-to-clean final surface showing great durability and abrasion resistance as well as resistance to chemical effects, e.g. to thinned organic and inorganic acids, alkalis, petroleum products, wastes, water, seawater, etc. Thanks to its very low VOC content, DUROFLOOR-RL complies with LEED requirements and can contribute toward obtaining green building certifications on your project.
The surface to be treated must be dry (< 4% moisture), stable, free of dust, loose particles, grease, etc., and protected from underneath moisture attack.
The surface must be properly prepared by grinding using a terrazzo polishing machine, sandblasting, shot blasting, etc., in order to open the pores to allow optimum penetration of the primer and ensure better anchoring and bonding of the epoxy coating to the substrate.
Then, the surface should be thoroughly cleaned with a high-suction vacuum cleaner.
The properly prepared surface (as described above) is primed with DUROPRIMER-RL epoxy primer.
Consumption of the primer: 200-300 g/m².
On iron and steel surfaces, EPOXYCOAT-AC anti-corrosion epoxy primer should applied in 2 layers. The second layer follows after the first one has completely dried but within 24 hours.
Consumption of EPOXYCOAT-AC: 150-200 g/m²/layer.
Once the primer has dried, any imperfections in the surface (cracks, holes) should be filled and repaired with DUROFLOOR-RL mixed with quartz sand with particle size 0.1-0.4 mm (or Q35 sand), in a 1.5:1 to 1:2 ratio by weight or with DUROPRIMER-RL mixed with quartz sand with particle size 0.1-0.4 mm (or Q35) in a 1:2 up to 1:3 ratio by weight.
DUROFLOOR-RL roller-applied epoxy coating should be applied within 24 hours after priming.
Application of DUROFLOOR-RL
Mixing of DUROFLOOR-RL components
DUROFLOOR-RL comes in pre-measured units. Component B (hardener) is added to component A (resin) and the mixture is stirred for approx. 5 minutes with a low-speed (300 rpm) electric mixer. It is important to stir near the sides and bottom of the container to achieve uniform dispersion of the hardener.
Smooth final surface
DUROFLOOR-RL is applied with a roller in 2 layers. The second layer should be applied once the first one has completely dried but within 24 hours.
Consumption: 250-300 g/m² per layer.
Slip-resistant final surface
DUROFLOOR-RL is applied with a roller in one layer.
DUROFLOOR-RL consumption: 250-300 g/m².
Quartz sand with particle size 0.1-0.4 mm or 0.3-0.8 mm, depending on the slip resistance required, is broadcast on the still fresh DUROFLOOR-RL layer.
Quartz sand consumption: approx. 3 kg/m².
Once DUROFLOOR-RL has hardened, any loose grains are removed with a high-suction vacuum cleaner.
A single layer of DUROFLOOR-RL is applied as a final sealing layer.
Consumption: 400-600 g/m².
- The quality of the concrete of the floor must be at least C20/25 (minimum cement content 350 kg/m³).
- In case the substrate is wet, its preparation should take place according to the technical solution “PREPARATION OF WET FLOORS PRIOR TO APPLICATION OF AN EPOXY FLOOR COATING”.
- Floor joints should be filled with FLEX PU-40 one-component elastomeric sealant.
- Working time of epoxy systems decreases when ambient temperature rises.
- Bonding between successive layers may be severely affected by moisture or dirt.
- Epoxy layers should be protected from moisture for 4-6 hours after application. Moisture may whiten the surface or/and make it sticky. It may also disturb hardening. Faded or sticky layers in parts of the surface should be removed by grinding or milling and laid again.
- In case recoat time is longer than expected or old floors are to be laid again, the surface should be thoroughly cleaned and ground before application of the new layer.
- Please consult the directions for safe use and precautions written on the packaging before use.