Waterproofing of humid areas
AQUAMAT Cement-based waterproofing slurry
AQUAMAT-ELASTIC Two-component, elastic waterproofing slurry
POLYESTER CLOTH FOR WATERPROOFING LAYERS Polyester cloth for reinforcing waterproofing layers
FIBERGLASS MESH Fiberglass mesh for reinforcing waterproofing layers.
I. NATURE OF THE PROBLEM – REQUIREMENTS
Areas constantly subject to moisture, such as bathrooms, showers, sanitary areas etc., must be waterproofed in order to prevent leakage of water, in the form of moisture, into neighbouring areas.
Such waterproofing is normally applied underneath the tiles that in most cases cover the surfaces of humid areas. A fundamental requirement is that the waterproofing layer should withstand constant moisture and should also be durable and long lasting, since later intervention to repair the waterproofing layer is difficult and costly.
AQUAMAT is an ideal solution for waterproofing surfaces in areas subject to permanent moisture. It is a cement-based brushable sealing slurry that provides total water impermeability.
It is suitable for surfaces made of concrete, cement mortar or plaster.
AQUAMAT is especially recommended for waterproofing surfaces in humid areas to be covered with tiles, such as bathrooms, showers etc., since its chemical affinity to the tile adhesive (they are both cementitious) secure the monolithic bonding of the two layers.
- The surface must be free of grease, loose particles, dust etc.
- When required, total smoothing of the substrate is carried out in order to create an even surface for the application of AQUAMAT and the subsequent tile fixing.
- Good wetting should follow, without creating standing water.
Application of AQUAMAT
- The content of one bag of AQUAMAT (25 kg) is gradually added into 8,25 litres of water under continuous stirring, until a brushable, uniform slurry is formed. A low-revolution (300 rpm) mixer can be used for mixing.
- 2-3 coats of AQUAMAT are applied by brush. Each coat should dry before applying the next one. To avoid cracking, the thickness of each layer should not exceed to 1 mm.
Consumption of AQUAMAT: 2-3 kg/m2 in total.
Along joints and intersections between walls and floors, the use of the elastic sealing slurry AQUAMAT-ELASTIC is recommended as well as local reinforcement of the waterproofing membrane with 10 cm wide fibreglass mesh tape or polyester cloth tape. A 12-15 cm wide coating of AQUAMAT-ELASTIC is applied along the joints or wall intersections and the reinforcement is then positioned while the AQUAMAT-ELASTIC layer is still fresh. The second coat is applied after the first has dried.
The use of AQUAMAT-ELASTIC is also recommended where expansion-contraction of the substrate is expected (e.g. floors with in-floor heating).
AQUAMAT-ELASTIC consumption: approx. 3,5 kg/m2 in total.
- Temperature during the application should be at least +50C.
- AQUAMAT contains cement and reacts as alkaline with water, so it is classified as irritant.
- Consult the usage risks and safety advice written on the bag.