Waterproofing of terraces with brushable elastomeric waterproofing membrane
I. NATURE OF THE PROBLEM – REQUIREMENTS
ISOFLEX Elastomeric waterproofing membrane
ISOFLEX-T25 Elastomeric waterproofing membrane
ISO-PRIMER Primer of ISOFLEX and ISOFLEX-T25
POLYESTER CLOTH FOR WATERPROOFING LAYERS Polyester cloth for reinforcing waterproofing layers
FIBERGLASS MESH Fiberglass mesh for reinforcing waterproofing layers
Waterproofing of terraces, whether carried out during construction of the building or later on, must be absolutely watertight, resistant to adverse weather conditions, reliable and long lasting. Also, It must display elasticity and efficient bonding to the substrate.
ISOFLEX, brushable elastomeric waterproofing membrane, meets all the above requirements. It offers excellent bonding to the substrate, efficient elasticity, and resistance to adverse weather conditions and UV radiation. It provides a simple, efficient and easily applied solution for difficult-to-waterproof areas (e.g. corners, edges, joints with rain pipes and gutters etc).
It forms a continuous, elastic membrane, without joins and can be used either for overall waterproofing of the entire terrace or for the local waterproofing of cracks.
Its easy application makes it ideal for waterproofing terraces, even a long time after their construction and for repairing existing waterproofing.
It can be applied to any normal terrace’s surface such as concrete, terrazzo, tiles etc.
Overall surface waterproofing
- The substrate should be dry and thoroughly cleaned from any loose particles, grease, dust etc.
- The substrate is primed with ISO-PRIMER.
Consumption of ISO-PRIMER: approx. 200 g/m2.
- 2 layers of ISOFLEX are applied by brush or roller, once the primer is dry. The second coat should be applied crosswise once the first one has dried and can be walked on.
- Where there are isolated cracks in the roof surface, it is recommended that the ISOFLEX membrane is reinforced along the length of the cracks by 10 cm wide strips of glass mesh or polyester fabric. In this case, once the primer is dry, 1 layer of ISOFLEX is applied along the cracks and the strips of glass mesh or polyester fabric are positioned while it is still fresh. 2 further layers of ISOFLEX are applied over the entire roof surface, letting the first layer dry before applying the second.
Total ISOFLEX consumption: 1-1,5 kg/m2, depending on the surface.
Where there is dense multiple cracking of the surface, it is recommended that overall reinforcement of the ISOFLEX membrane is carried out with 100 cm wide sheets of glass mesh or polyester fabric, which should overlap each other by 5-10 cm. In this case, once the primer has dried, 1 layer of ISOFLEX is applied, at the same width as the reinforcing material and then the sheets of glass mesh or polyester fabric are positioned while it is still fresh. The procedure is repeated over the entire surface and finally 2 more layers of ISOFLEX are applied over the entire roof surface, letting the first layer dry before applying the second.
Total ISOFLEX consumption: 2-2,5 kg/m2, depending on the absorbency of the surface and the type of reinforcement.
The waterproofing should be extended at least 15-20 cm up to any vertical surfaces (parapet, stairwell termination etc.), in order to form a watertight basin.
Local sealing and waterproofing of cracks
- The substrate should be dry and thoroughly cleaned from any loose materials, grease, dust etc.
- A 10-12 cm wide strip is primed along the entire length of the cracks with ISO-PRIMER.
Once the primer is dry, a 10-12 cm wide layer of ISOFLEX is applied along the cracks and while it is still fresh, a 10 cm wide glass mesh or polyester fabric strip is positioned. After drying of this layer, 2 more layers of ISOFLEX are applied along the cracks. The second layer follows after the first one is completely dry.
Consumption: approx. 200-250 g/m length of crack.
- ISOFLEX should not be applied if the weather is damp or rainy, in order to prevent washing off of the still fresh material by a sudden rain.
- Basic assumption for the longevity of ISOFLEX is that the application surface has sufficient gradient in order to avoid the formation of water puddles.
- In cases where the waterproofing layer should have high resistance to extreme temperature conditions (from -25οC to +120οC) then instead of ISOFLEX it is recommended the use of ISOFLEX-T25.